Jewellery Glossary A

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U-Z

9k Gold

Is 37.5% pure or hallmarked 375 Gold. It is quite commonly used in jewellery manufacturer and tends to have better wearing properties than finer or purer grades of this precious metal.

09k Gold

10k Gold

Is 41.7% pure or hallmarked 417 Gold. It can be a durable form perfect for making jewellery including heavier chain bracelets and longer necklaces and because it is only contains 42% purity it is significantly cheaper than purer grades.

10k Gold

14k Gold

Is 58.3% pure or hallmarked 583. This purity is quite common in the United States and as it is often mixed with copper or other metals it is more durable. It is usually 60% the cost of pure jewellery items so there is also a significant cost saving.

14k Gold

18k Gold

Is 75.0% pure or hallmarked 750. It is one of the more common grades for jewellery usage as it is close to pure but, as it has a significant amount of other metals in it much better wearing than the 24k metal.

18k Gold

24k Gold

Is 99.9% pure gold and is seldom used for jewellery as it is too soft and is most commonly found in Bullion Bars or Coins. It is hallmarked 999 signifying the purity out of a total 1000.

24k Gold

925 Sterling Silver

This alloy contains at least 92.5% silver with the remaining 7.5% a mixture of another metal, usually copper but It can be other materials. It is better suited for making jewellery than pure silver as it is more durable while retaining the beauty of the original metal. Sterling silver jewellery is usually stamped 925, but not always.

925 Sterling Silver

Agate

Is a variety of quartz commonly associated with volcanic rocks. It presents itself as a hard stone and has a wide range of colors – from grey to blue, orange, red, black and banded. An exquisite material for craftsmen since the Bronze Age, agate has been used for creating various ornaments such as pins, marbles, knives and brooches.

Agate

Alloy

An alloy is a material obtained by combining two or more metals, or metal with other elements. The mixture has properties that are usually far enhanced than those of the individual raw materials that were originally used. For example steel is an alloy of iron and carbon and it is far stronger and more durable than iron.

Alloy

Amber

Amber is comes from resin originally produced by trees in the Tertiary period and can be found today in a petrified translucent form that is classified as a gem. The typical color of amber is honey-yellow but it can also present itself in red and brown nuances or pale yellow. Some pieces of amber can also contain fossilised insects or small creatures. Amber has been polished and used in jewellery making for centuries, if not 1000's of years.

Amber

Amber Bracelet

Is a beautiful accessory fit for elegant wardrobes and casual attires as well, it adorns the wrist and is manufactured using pieces of a this wonderful hardened resin of a brown-golden colouring.

Amber Bracelet

Amber Necklace

An amber necklace is a fashionable accessory designed to be worn around the neck and is popular with women, men or it is even for babies during teething. It is made up of either round amber beads of varying colour from light to dark brown or it can also be adorned with less regular shaped chips.

Amber Necklace

Amethyst

Amethyst is a semi precious variety of quartz that is often used in jewellery making and has a purple to violet colour. It was once classified as a gem equal to the big four (diamond, sapphire, ruby, and emerald) but with the discovery of large deposits in Brazil and other countries it has been downgraded to a semi precious gem and is now a lot more affordable.

Amethyst

Anklet or Ankle Bracelet

An ankle bracelet or chain, commonly referred by the name anklet is a piece of jewellery very similar to that of the classic wrist bracelet with the only exception that it is created to be worn around the ankle. It can be a plain link chain or with charms.

Anklet or Ankle Bracelet

Anniversary Band

An anniversary band is a special type of ring that is used as a traditional gift between couples for celebrating milestones in their matrimony or relationship. Constructed of small stones fitted on a band made from a precious metal, the anniversary ring is usually worn along with the wedding ring.

Anniversary Band

Aquamarine

Is a blue-green semi transparent stone used for ornaments or jewellery. A relative to the famous emerald, the aquamarine stone is a variety of a mineral named beryl and is one of the official birthstones for those born in March.

Aquamarine

Asscher Cut Diamond

The "Asscher cut diamond" was pioneered by Joseph Asscher in 1902, it is a layered square pyramid shape with its corners shaved off to complete an 8 sided pattern.

Asscher Cut Diamond